Thursday, February 25, 2010

An assortment of books and OCD.

Hi All,

Is it just me, or do other people get obsessive compulsive over certain things?
I get obsessive with so much in day-to-day life it's not funny. It happens mainly with most items that I'm interested in. E.g. I have three cars (just finished selling the 4th), I know that I don't really need three cars, but it's this OCD which kicks in and I feel the need to buy.....

One of my current obsessions, which is getting a little out-of-hand at the moment, is books and magazines. Yes, I'm an avid reader, so it only seems natural that I'll have a reasonable amount of books lying around in the weirdest of spots. The problem is that I can't stop myself from continually adding to this collection. I only recently upgraded my bookcase, and I now need to buy another one of this size, so that everything can be nicely organised. (I have to admit, that if I do buy another one, I'm most likely to feel the need for purchasing more books to stock it up with...)
So, you might think that my adding might be just a normal thing. The problem arises with the fact that I am buying too many books, I'm not able to read them all. The other problem is that I am suggested, lent or have library books given to me. I then feel the need to read this material first..... Thus, my own books, which I have purchased, as they are about subjects of which interest me, get pushed to the back of the reading stack..... I'd say my stack is about 50 books large at the moment, which is about 6 months of reading at my current rate. This time-frame will never stand up though, as I'm likely to encounter more books before I get through this whole lot....
Then there is the whole magazine thing. I am interest in two main magazines: Classic Ford and NZ Top Gear. I get a copy monthly of each of these, and for the last six months, haven't had the time to sit and read any of these issues.... I just have them stacked up in a large pile, ready for reading..... If I then read these, I'm not likely to get through anywhere near the books that I have put aside.....

I have come up with a rather ingenious idea though, I'm now listening to audiobooks. I have a subscription for audible.com, which gives me a new audiobook every fortnight. This allows me to do a few extra books, which I'll never get around to actually sitting down and reading. If only I could do this with my magazines.......

Anyway, I should really be reading instead of typing this.....

Adam.

No comments:

Post a Comment